my hopes, my dreams, my loves - anything under the moon

Sunday, August 22, 2010

Malunggay Galore and an Oatmeal Cookie Recipe!

Finally, I'm slowly building up my milk supply that I leave at home for nights when I'm in the office. I have my pumping schedule in the office down pat. I could bring home around 3 4oz packs of pumped milk everyday.

When I'm at home I nurse Damian the whole day. This would mean he'd sleep by my side or the yaya would bring him to me when he's hungry then take him when he's done. I'm happy that this way, we're still able to bond even if I'm sleeping.

Thank God for the wonderful malunggay!

I started taking Natalac capsules last Friday. I take this twice a day - once in the morning and then in the evening. Of course, I still take my pre-natal vitamins so I don't lose out on important nutrients.

My mom also made me special malunggay dishes. First off, the Ilocano dish called patalbog. Basically, the vegetables are added to boiling water with fish bagoong. No sauteeing thus no oil :-) Her weekend patalbog had malunggay, saluyot, ginger, tomatoes, okra and ampalaya leaves. Talk about green!

Then on Sunday, my mom made tinola without the chicken LOL! How is that possible, you say? She cooked the chicken in water so she had a broth, took out the chicken then added the vegetables (sayote and malunggay). What did we do with the chicken? We made it into adobo of course! Instant double dish :-)

I've also discovered a recipe for oatmeal cookies from Chronicles of a Nursing Mom. Great recipe! I think this will taste yummy! Honestly, I didn't know that oatmeal is a galactagogue until I read Jenny's entry. Good news for me! I loooovvveee oatmeal! I can eat oatmeal everyday for breakfast. Having it as a cookie is a super treat! Here's the recipe:

* 1 cup butter
* 1 cup sugar – we’ve reduced this to ½ cup
* 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar – we’ve reduced this to ½ cup
* 4 tablespoons water
* 2 tablespoons flax seed meal – available at healthy options
* 2 eggs
* 1 teaspoon vanilla
* 2 cups flour
* 1 teaspoon baking soda
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 3 cups oats - You can use the “quaker oats” brand – choose quick cooking not instant. You can also buy oats from Healthy Options
* 1 cup chocolate chips – Some moms replace this with toffee chips or chopped-up pieces of Heath bar.
* 2-4 tablespoons brewer's yeast – available at Healthy Options. I also sprinkle brewer’s yeast on my daily oatmeal bowl.

Preheat oven to 350°. Mix the flaxseed meal and water and let sit for 3-5 minutes. Beat butter, sugar, and brown sugar well. Add eggs and mix well. Add flaxseed mix and vanilla, beat well. Sift together flour, brewers yeast, baking soda, and salt. Add dry ingredients to butter mix. Stir in oats and chips. Scoop onto baking sheet. Bake for 12 minutes. Let set for a couple minutes then remove from tray.

Yum, yum, yum!!! I will definitely try this one soon and post pictures!

1 comment:

  1. there is no available brewer's yeast in my place... any substitute for it or can i just remove the brewer's yeast? thanks

    ReplyDelete