my hopes, my dreams, my loves - anything under the moon

Friday, August 27, 2010

Slowly but surely

The past week has been a good one. D has been showing good progress in therapy.

Aside from being able to answer "What's your name?", he now knows other basics such as "How old are you?" and "How are you?". Being echolaleic, these are huge improvements in such a short time!

He also has started learning to grasp two critical elements/concepts in a statement. At first he would only remember the last object in a statement, with a little push, he is able to understand that there are 2 objects he needs to focus on.

This week, he has also started to learn colors. I'm very happy hearing him answer my question, "What color is this?" :-D

With all these things, he has started to be very interested in conversations. He would say, "Look at this, mommy!" or "What is this?". Huge, huge improvement!

I'm praying these milestones continue. The only catch is that he is performing very well during therapy but we still have some challenges at home. The tantrums, the hyperactivity, the babbling and the hyperfocus are still there. I think he sees school and therapy as formal venues where he needs to respond to questions, write and trace letters, color pictures and answer puzzles. He sees home as a place where he can let loose. I'm keeping it that way for now, of course, there is still structure at home but we don't overdo the writing and studying. I try to make learning fun.

I look forward to another good week!

No comments:

Post a Comment